Public utility is probably one of the most controversial and discussed things in any country. It affects every single citizen and not only the payback, but also the general attitude of the city residents, region and country is dependent on its working efficiency.
Today there are a number of solutions which allow different areas of public utilities to develop faster, solving the most acute problems thanks to the Internet of things and deployment of the LoRaWAN network.
Centralized control and resource consumption monitoring.
One of the challenges facing the utility sector is the energy supply to consumers. Consumption accounting of these resources plays an important role. It is carried out using different instrumentation located in different parts of the networks.
If there is no automatic data transmission, the only way to get information on resource consumption is when consumers transmit data or it is checked by the supervisor.
In both cases, there is a high risk of errors and inaccuracies There is also a delay in obtaining information from consumers’ reading meters. As a result, dissonance in total and house-to-house indicators, wrong invoicing, and arrears in payment.
The implementation of a dispatching system using IoT devices operating under the LoRaWAN protocol allows in a short time to:
- organize a remote data transmission from different metering devices;
- exclude errors out of human factor;
- gain transparency in customer invoices;
- create a system that prevents theft and falsification;
- quickly identify the overrun points and points of system integration;
- manage actual loads;
- gather and compile statistics to find options for saving resources and optimizing work.
The implementation of a Resource management system by using LoRaWAN protocol allows to save significant amounts of money through cost optimization, transparency of the accounting system, rapid theft detection. A universal device from Atiko allows to save on deployment of network, connecting one device to up to 4 counters simultaneously.
Heating system control
The cyclic nature of the heating season and the necessity to rapidly produce and distribute heat over a large area pose a number of problems:
- rupture and breakage;
- error and malfunction detection when starting up the system;
- dependence on the responsibility and qualifications of employees who ensure the start-up and shutdown of the system;
- difficulties in responding to emergencies on time due to the large spatial dispersion of the system;
The solution to these problems is to deploy a LoRaWAN network and connect IoT devices to different parts of the system. This allows to:
- create a system for identifying emergency situations;
- remotely control pumping units, fans, plugs and valves;
- remotely control engineering facilities and mechanisms, directing “human” resources to solve specific tasks.
Access control to engineering facilities, basements, attics.
In order to prevent unauthorized access, theft, emergencies and accidents, access to engineering facilities and technical facilities must be controlled.
Implementation of an automated remote notification system for opening hatches, wells, doors and unauthorized access allows to:
- react rapidly to intrusions;
- prevent thefts;
- exclude the possibility of accidents caused by vandalism.
Accidents, emergency situations, shutdowns.
According to statistics, one of the most frequent causes of fires is a failure of wiring and overload of the electricity network. And the reason for the high repair cost of heating and water supply systems is the detection of flooding and breakthroughs after 5-7 hours, when it is impossible to avoid damage.
Public utility system is a complex structure that requires constant control of different mechanisms, nodes, facilities, networks, systems, etc. The automation of the safety and emergency warning system using IoT devices under the LoRaWAN protocol enables remote and quick receiving of emergency reports on the accidents: floods, fires, gas leaks, power failures.
Deploying LoRaWAN with IoT devices on the most problematic mechanisms, nodes, parts of the system, engineering structures allows to solve many problems, that previously resulted in financial losses.
Atiko’s pilot projects show that the implementation of automation, dispatching and controlling systems makes it possible to reduce the running costs of public utilities and also establish comfortable relations with customers and suppliers and comply with State requirements in dispatching in the Public utility system.